Well I had the bright idea that I would simply rebuild my audio isolation box and add a relay to key the PTT circuit with the PI’s GPIO pins for digital modes since the IC-730 doesn’t have a traditional rig control.
OK so some functionality that I want to achieve is up and running. GREAT NEWS is the noise floor that’s plagued my station is now gone! From a S5/6 noise floor down to S1/2 let’s hope it stays that way!
Recently I purchased a PI4 to replace an ageing tower because of the noise floor it was creating on the 40m (7mhz) band. So far the PI has succeeded in reducing the noise floor from s5 to s1 here in the shack.
Well, Saturday April 11 2020 was an abbreviated GA QSO PARTY contest. I didn’t get but a couple of hours to participate from my home station in SC but I hope I did help 16 of my fellow hams with those last few points they needed. Not too shabby really, not great, but not bad 16 QSOs in an hour that’s only 7 min 30 sec to find someone calling CQ and bust through the pileups and get the contact in the log on average. Log below:
But I did get a few minutes to piddle in the shack and I think those few minutes turned out really nice! A new V/A meter, I wont go in depth here as its got it’s own write up under the projects section, go check it out!
After the G1M had it’s little microphone issue and the subsequent repair, I finally got the chance to use it for the 100W&AW net. Ian had issues not due to my signal but due to another couple of operators just below the net frequency so the contact was short and struggled for, but I made it in.